Enabling drivers in staging tree in rawhide

Matthew Garrett mjg at redhat.com
Thu Jan 8 03:36:50 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 08:19:26AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> The ralink wireless drivers for example would hopefully make the newer
> EEE PC model would out of the box.  Does it make sense to enable the
> drivers in staging tree by default and bring more exposure to them
> atleast via rawhide if not in general releases?

I think providing hardware support in rawhide and then removing it
before release would be somewhat user-hostile. The ralink drivers that
have landed in staging are a dead end - they're never going to be
in-kernel proper. They don't need testing or bugs filing against them.
What's needed is more manpower to help work on the native mac80211
drivers.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org