Summary of the 2009-01-06 Packaging Committee meeting

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Jan 8 11:47:59 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 02:01:47PM -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 01:16:59PM -0600, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> >> * Make adherence to the FHS a MUST, [...]
> >
> > Is there a recognized process for getting changes into upstream FHS?
>
> Changes to the FHS are discussed on their mailing list hosted on
> Sourceforge::
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/freestandards/

The discussion there seems mainly to revolve around the topics of
enlarging members and picking penny stocks:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_name=freestandards-fhs-discuss
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_name=freestandards-ldps

I saw precisely 1 non-spam posting in the last 2 months (and that was
just a question).

This really matters.  If we're going to block projects because they
cannot fulfil FHS requirements (eg. as might have happened to MinGW
because of the /usr/<target> path) then there must be a way to get
changes into the FHS.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top