Problems with X font handling

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Tue Jan 13 16:29:54 UTC 2009

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 10:20:36 -0300, "Horst H. von Brand" <vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl> wrote:

> > 5. run xemacs again
>
> On the other machine with xfs I restarted that one, and starting xemacs
> again gives me the message stated.

Sorry for leading you astray with this.

I see it myself now too. If I have the following in xorg.conf:

Section "Files"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi"
        FontPath     "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Then the following is seen in Xorg.0.log:

(==) Including the default font path built-ins.
(**) FontPath set to:
        /usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi,
        unix/:7100,
        built-ins
.... so far so good, but then:
[dix] Could not init font path element /usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi, removing from list!
[dix] Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!

Of course the fontdir is set up correctly with mkfontdir.
It happens on:
xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.5.99.3-8.fc11.x86_64

So, looks like the X server is bust pretty badly. Time to file a bug.
I don't use legacy X applications, so the problem does not bother me.
Horst, do you want to confirm and file?

-- Pete