Problems with X font handling

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Wed Jan 14 10:28:14 UTC 2009

On 2009-01-13, 16:29 GMT, Pete Zaitcev wrote:
> Section "Files"
>         FontPath     "/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi"
>         FontPath     "unix/:7100"
> EndSection

Try to just eliminate "Files" section altogether. You then get in
/var/log/Xorg.0.log something like this:

    (==) No FontPath specified.  Using compiled-in default.
    (==) FontPath set to:
            catalogue:/etc/X11/fontpath.d,
            built-ins

Pete, xfs is not manadatory anymore and it is not installed per
default since somewhere in F9. All configuration files for
individual font packages should go to /etc/X11/fontpath.d. If you
eliminate "Files" section, stop xfs, restart Xorg, and something
doesn't work, THEN file a bug about it. Or if you have xfs
running and set up like above (I don't think you should have the
first line in xorg.conf, it should go to /etc/X11/fs/config
instead) then it should work as wel, of course -- we don't ban
xfs, just don't use it per default anymore.

Best,

Matěj