comps discussion at fudcon and the future

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jan 14 21:22:56 UTC 2009

seth vidal wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 14:15 -0600, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> seth vidal wrote:
>>> - users expect groups to be more persistent on their systems and to act
>>>   more like pkgs (ie: yum update should update groups, too)
>> Um... Finding out about new packages is fine, but having it only work as
>> long as you have everything in a particular group IMO isn't useful.
>

>> I'd rather see "interests", i.e. "subscribe" to certain groups to get
>> notification of new packages in that group. And there needs to be a way
>> to run updates without pulling new packages (and once I've declined a
>> new package from a group I am subscribed to, I should never be prompted
>> about it again).
>
> you want to update your system w/o pulling down the pkgs? That's, umm,
> very difficult. One might even say impossible.

No. I want to update everything currently installed, and be /offered/
anything new. By "new packages" I mean "packages that didn't exist last
time I ran updates" (as opposed to "updates of already installed
packages"). Sorry for the confusion.

> I think what you want out of groups is beyond the scope of what we're
> trying to do.

That may be. In which case, I guess the point is just that what you're
doing is not something that will be useful to me, as I don't typically
install entire groups (ever). (On my Asus, I even wrote a script to find
all packages that are not on, or dependencies of, a "whitelist" and
remove them.)

--
Matthew
"Ah, yes. Control the media and you control the world."