Heads up openssl-0.9.8j in rawhide

Tomas Mraz tmraz at redhat.com
Wed Jan 14 22:03:34 UTC 2009

I am going to build new openssl into rawhide really soon. As the new
version contains some minor ABI breaks it will require SONAME bump of
the openssl libraries. That also means all the 288 dependent packages
will have to be rebuilt. Not counting that some of the dependent
packages have circular dependencies.

But do not be scared. As the ABI break is pretty minimal and as it
should not affect a large majority of applications I am going to
temporarily provide symlinks to the old library soname and appropriate
provides in the rpm package. Of course this will be dropped as soon as
all (or majority of) the dependencies are rebuilt.

As the library should not break any major application I'd like to not
wait for the alpha unfreeze as the rebuild of all the deps will surely
take some time.

Here is the list of all the dependent packages:

afflib
aimage
alpine
amanda