comps discussion at fudcon and the future

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jan 15 16:59:12 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-15 at 16:47 +0100, Florian Festi wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I fully agree that this current package handling situation is less then
> perfect. We have all been overrun by the amazing success and growth of
> Fedora. A lot of mechanisms that have been put into place years ago do no
> longer fit - the comps file being one.

<snip>
My takeaway from your comments is this bit:

"I am still very undecided how this should look like but I don't think
we are ready to discuss the implementation details yet."

I don't think we should stop until we've decided all the details.

Groups/comps will be dealt with as it is now - in cvs.
search/tags can start out in cvs and expand out to being in the pkgdb. I
talked to Toshio about this a bit - the only thing keeping that from
happening is free time.

We can suss out the other details as we go, I think.

-sv