comps discussion at fudcon and the future

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jan 15 20:11:11 UTC 2009

Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 03:46:20PM -0600, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> Josh Boyer wrote:
>>> Ok, but if group-metapkg has Requires on all the packages in the
>>> group, then won't:
>>>
>>> yum remove foo-is-part-of-group
>>>
>>> hit the Requires on group-metapkg and have yum try to remove it,
>>> along with everything else?
>> For the benefit of the list, the answer is "yes". This is why I don't
>> like using metapackages this way; you can't selectively install them.
>
> Actually, the answer is no.

Oh, sorry. It will remove the metapackage. I missed the part about
"everything else".

Let me try again:

Will it remove the metapackage?
Yes.

Will removing the metapackage remove everything else?
No*.

(* assuming remove-with-leaves isn't in use)

Jesse's reply pretty much hits right on what my complaint is.

--
Matthew
"Doggy!" -- Robots from Freefall (http://freefall.purrsia.com)