comps discussion at fudcon and the future

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jan 16 16:10:01 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-16 at 08:09 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> I don't want to get tracked into the discussions if "Requires(hint)" and
> other soft deps make sense to support in rpm/yum or not.
>
> But if conditionals really go away in comps it would be really nice for
> external repos like RPM Fusion to have a alternative way to
> automatically get (for example(¹) ) xine-lib-extras-freeworld installed
> if the users installs (or already has installed) xine-lib.

 I think the main point that should be made here is that group
conditionals _don't_ solve this, it requires the user to install the
"correct group" while rpmfusion is enabled.
 In fact the proposed change of how comps/groups works would actually
solve this much more often (as if you had group FOO installed, and then
enabled rpmfusion you'd get the new packages). But even then it requires
the user has installed the "correct group" at some point.

 As Panu says, I think enhances support solves this problem and it'll
just work.

--
James Antill <james at fedoraproject.org>
Fedora