pam_console

Jack Tanner ihok at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 19 19:16:10 UTC 2009

Bastien Nocera <bnocera <at> redhat.com> writes:

> The problem is that a daemon shouldn't be talking to what should be
> session devices. mpd won't work with PulseAudio, and it won't work with
> HAL/CK permissions.

mpd has a special sink for PulseAudio, if you choose to use it that way.
PulseAudio is neat, but it uses too much CPU on my little old PC, so I've
removed it. mpd gets along with ALSA just fine, and I can give it permissions
via console.perms.d just fine. If you take away my ability to do that, please
explain how to grant those same permissions via hal/ck.

> The maintainers would be better off adding hacks to set the permissions
> on the audio devices in the startup scripts.

Sure, that'd be fine. Still, please explain how to set those. hal/ck is far too
underdocumented for average users (and far too important to remain that way).