How do I allow automatic non root access to my non standard USB device ?

Linuxguy123 linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 02:19:03 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 03:57 +0200, Muayyad AlSadi wrote:
> in the past it was something in /etc/udev/rules.d/
>
> but I don't now know what does that
>
> if it's like in the past a file with
> SYSFS{idVendor}=="XXXX", SYSFS{idProduct}=="YYYY", MODE="666", GROUP="mygroup"
>
> don't do that, I don't know what it will do
> I'm just shed some light into some dark corner

That is exactly how it USED to be done.  Now we have:

$ls /etc/udev/rules.d

10-libifp.rules               60-wacom.rules           90-alsa.rules
40-multipath.rules            70-mdadm.rules           90-hal.rules
51-packagekit-firmware.rules  70-persistent-cd.rules
91-drm-modeset.rules
60-libmtp.rules               70-persistent-net.rules
97-bluetooth-serial.rules
60-libnjb.rules               85-pcscd_ccid.rules      99-fuse.rules
60-pcmcia.rules               85-pcscd_egate.rules

And 90-hal.rules contains this:

# pass all events to the HAL daemon
RUN+="socket:/org/freedesktop/hal/udev_event"

Do I need to make a file 71-persistent-usb.rules ?  The reason I am
suspicious of doing that is because I used the gnome set authorization
tool to allow non root access to my ttyUSB devices and I haven't found a
rule for that in this directory.  I'd use that tool to allow access to
the USB port for my programmer, but it doesn't appear to handle non
standard devices.

I don't feel so bad about asking this question now...