Wrong security attributes. Maybe a bug?

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Tue Jan 20 11:09:35 UTC 2009

Joshua C. wrote:
> 2009/1/19 Steve Grubb <sgrubb at redhat.com>:
>> On Monday 19 January 2009 04:06:26 pm Steve Grubb wrote:
>>> chattr -i  ./foo
>> whoops...actually, chattr +i ./foo
>>
>> -Steve
>>

> This is what I want. Thanx.
>
> But as I said earlier I had the impression that changing the owner to
> root and settting the files in 444 mode would do the work. Back then
> when I created those files I tried deleting them and I couldn't.
> Therefore I thought it's sufficient. Maybe there was something else
> that I did then and cann't remember now?

If this was the case then either the directory you had the files in
had the sticky bit set (causes us to allow unlink/rename if the user
is either the owner of the file, the owner of the containing
directory, or root. Normally used on temporary directories) or
something other than the kernel was preventing you deleting the files.

Regards,
Bryn.