F10 and no root login - impossible to maintain systems!

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Thu Jan 22 02:29:42 UTC 2009

On 2009/01/21 21:12 (GMT-0500) Casey Dahlin composed:

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> On 2009/01/21 20:55 (GMT-0500) Casey Dahlin composed:

>>> Ctrl+Alt+F2

>> Not much help when system is configured to start X automatically, and X
>> proceeds to lock up the whole system because of an Intel video chip's broken
>> driver.

> And how does allowing graphical root login fix that?

It doesn't. It's the reason why nothing graphical should happen before
everything else that graphical requires is known to be functioning, while
typically fixing the broke stuff requires root power.

Graphical boot is obfuscatory nonsense. I just put W2K on an old puter a few
days ago. Linux boots right up, but W2K takes 5 minutes to reach the login
window. The graphical blanket makes it impossible to see what is taking so
bloody long. I know there's a startup option to avoid the graphical doz
curtain, but that should be the default, not a hidden option. Same for Linux:
Graphical should be a selected option for those who want it, not the default.
--
"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he
is old he will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/