F10 and no root login - impossible to maintain systems!

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Thu Jan 22 11:19:23 UTC 2009

Matej Cepl wrote:
> On 2009-01-21, 15:53 GMT, Benjamin LaHaise wrote:
>> Even then, with F10 using a 0 second wait at the grub prompt,
>> it's almost impossible to catch grub in time to specify the
>> runlevel or init=/bin/sh.
>
> OK, is THIS the problem? Then don't babble about disallowing root
> login (which is nonsense and your repeating won't make it true
> ever). I don't like this default either, but pressing 'a'
> repeatedly will get you to the kernel command prompt. And the
> problem is not 0 timeout (there is 5 IIRC), but the 'hiddenmenu'
> option which makes grub menu invisible.

I didn't know that pressing 'a' repeatedly will get you to the kernel
command prompt.  The problem with a lot of these changes is that they
break techniques that people have used for many years.  And if you don't
know that the pressing 'a' trick exists, you don't know how to ask
how to do it -- especially if your computer doesn't boot.

Andrew.