F10 and no root login - impossible to maintain systems!

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Jan 22 22:37:36 UTC 2009

Shawn Starr wrote:
> I'm going to jump into this flamefest, Can we STOP with the "Mother knows
> best" menality in Fedora? I have needed to log in as root with X a few
> times.     Stop turning Fedora into a 'Ubuntu'.

+1

The funny thing is, the GDM config file even used to say in a comment that
anybody who disables root login "should be shot". That was back when GDM
actually had this as a config option, rather than the current PAM hack
which makes root login fail with a confusing error message because GDM
doesn't even understand what's going on. (The GDM rewrite dropped the old
option.)

        Kevin Kofler