Root Logins in X...

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 23:43:51 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 2:07 PM, nodata <lsof at nodata.co.uk> wrote:
> Can't see the point myself. Does root require a graphical login for this
> odd edge case?

The better question is, how do we expect a user of a predominated self
administered system to recover in the edge cases like this?  The
current default partitioning layout certainly is not designed to
prevent this particular edge case from happening.

And a related question, how are RH certified admins been trained to
recover from this sort of thing?

I've already been pre-conditioned from years of exposure to reach for
root, however it takes, to clean that sort of situation up. But I live
in the %1 tail of users, I don't expect my behaviors to be
representative. I doubt my wife knows what to do if she fills up her
home directory on her desktop and can no longer login in as a result.
I can go force a test of that by filling up her harddrive and then
hiding so she can't find me to ask me to fix it.

-jef