Default ISA/tuning flags for GCC, --enable-kernel= level for glibc

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Mon Jan 26 11:30:10 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 12:06:49PM +0100, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> I don't know about non-x86 arches (it's probably less of a problem), but
> for x86 such change can (as you probably know) affect the overall speed
> of the generated code and must be benchmarked. I would be in favour of
> changing the default cflags to include -march=i586 if it gives measurable
> benefits, i.e. faster binaries and/or smaller code size, but slower binaries
> are not acceptable.

Performance on i?86 is mostly the matter of -mtune, which should stay the
same (-mtune=generic, tuning for contemporary Intel and AMD CPUs).
The difference between -march=i386 -mtune=generic and -march=i486 -mtune=generic
is just that xadd[bwl], bswap and cmpxchg[bwl] insns can be generated for the
latter, for -march=i586 -mtune=generic also cmpxchg8b insn.  Except for
bswap, that's mainly for __sync_* builtins, OpenMP #pragma omp atomic, and
other users of atomic insns.

	Jakub