Default ISA/tuning flags for GCC, --enable-kernel= level for glibc

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Jan 26 16:19:43 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 07:04:46AM -0800, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> >> The koji build boxes all run RHEL 5.  Getting them upgraded to a not-yet-
> >> released kernel seems unlikely.
> >
> > I know it is a pain, on the other hand it would really improve Fedora 11.
>
> Not only that.  It is the only way to actually test what we are shipping.
>
> At least from glibc's POV (but indirectly from a much wider range) we
> have to compile everything on the kernel we are shipping for the
> release.  Period.  I know that the current build infrastructure doesn't
> do this but this only means it has to change.  We have virtualization
> available, there is no excuse.

Is the requirement here to build or to test on the same kernel
version?  It might be more feasible for set up an extra (virtual)
machine to run some tests and leave the build infrastructure as it is.

Rich.

Read my OCaml programming blog: http://camltastic.blogspot.com/
Fedora now supports 68 OCaml packages (the OPEN alternative to F#)