Lack of update information

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Jan 26 20:35:56 UTC 2009

Le mardi 27 janvier 2009 à 01:17 +0530, Rahul Sundaram a écrit :
> Chris Weyl wrote:
>
> > Let's not make anything more difficult for the package maintainers,
> > eh?
>
> In general, I certainly agree but policies weren't introduced in the
> last to make life harder for maintainers but easier for end users and
> for a small additional cost to maintainers,

A lot of policies are introduced to make maintainer life easier and help
them avoid known pitfalls. If they all added a new layer, the whole
distribution would become unmaintainable.

I believe the reason rpm has so far avoided triaging upstream-provided
doc and puts it all indiscriminately in %doc, is that the packager
triaging cost is just too high.

Before more English writing is asked of packagers (most of whom are not
native English speakers), in an area the average non-techie user doesn't
consult, and which is useless to a lot of people since it's not
translated, it would be great if some editors did review, fix and
improve of all our package summaries and descriptions, which is
something that *would* have high user impact, and *would* make packager
life easier, by relieving them of a shore which has nothing to do with
technical packaging.

And I'm sure all the localization teams that have to translate the
pidgin English some of us use would cheer too.

--
Nicolas Mailhot