Lack of update information

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Tue Jan 27 00:07:24 UTC 2009

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Chris Weyl wrote:
>

>> It's hardly a "small additional cost", especially when looked at in
>> aggregate; this would be an additional non-automateable step required
>> for every update release that is of very questionable value/utility to
>> the vast majority of our users.
>
> I wouldn't say that. Currently it is of questionable value currently but
> it would be much more valuable without just version bumping and more
> careful thought put into justifying the need for updates. Every update
> adds to a large cost in terms of build time, bandwidth, potential
> regressions etc.

I find it unreasonable to ask of package maintainers to take the role of
technical writers. Anything beyond copy/pasting will widen the gap
between packages maintained by native english speakers and packages that
aren't. ChangeLog typically contains a large number of fairly detailed
technical changes that has no place in the RPM spec log or in bodhi. i
think it's unreasonable to ask anything more that a comment such as 'bug
fix release' or 'introduces some new features'.

-denis