haldaemon or devicekit for keyboard layout

Muayyad AlSadi alsadi at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 01:06:47 UTC 2009

hi,

I was trying to compose an locale livcd based on fedora
I set the layout in in the .ks
but hal won't get them

as you know the layout is set by /usr/bin/fedora-setup-keyboard which
is called by /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-x11-keymap.fdi

I put some stubs in the script like
echo "1" >>$log

and it was not printed but if I go into runlevel 3 then restarted hal
it will be logged and when I change back to runlevel 5 the layout will
be working

so I added this braindamage to my .ks file
[ -f /var/cache/hald/fdi-cache ] && rm /var/cache/hald/fdi-cache &&
service haldaemon restart

to force hal to start again but this time it will set the layout

my question what is the reason for the early started haldaemon not
running /usr/bin/fedora-setup-keyboard
and will hal be responsible  for layout in F11 or it will be devicekit ?