Draft: simple update description guidelines

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Jan 27 18:47:04 UTC 2009

On 27.01.2009 19:18, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> The following are a set of simple guidelines for the update descriptions
> via bodhi (which is used by PackageKit to inform users of what has
> changed). These guidelines are intended to help end users understand the
> nature of changes in the update better. Bodhi is not used in rawhide, so
> these guidelines are not applicable for rawhide updates. Note that this
> is not connected to the rpm changelog.
>
> I have tried to summarize what has been suggested in a couple of earlier
> threads. If there is anything else that needed to be added, do let me
> know. If there is FESCo approval and general consensus, we can add this to
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/MaintainerResponsibility
>
> and add a reference to
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/UpdatingPackageHowTo#Submit_your_update_to_Bodhi

Don't we have way to many guidelines and policies already?

At least I think we have way to many of them already. That makes
contributing to Fedora (and especially starting to contribute) harder
and harder -- especially as finding, reading, understanding and
remembering all the different rules and guidelines (and follow their
changes) gets next to impossible afaics.

Let's please stop this path -- let's make things easier again instead of
regulating each and every detail.

Note that I don't disagree with the text that was proposed. My 2 cent:
Put it as text into the wiki somewhere, write "best practices" ontop of
it (avoid the words "rules" and "guidlines") and add a link to the bodhi
ui ("best practices for filing this box with information").

Cu
knurd