Lack of update information

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 21:35:25 UTC 2009

2009/1/26 Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com>:
> On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 09:28 +0100, drago01 wrote:

>> >[..]
>> > Btw, how about pulling the data from spec %changelog automatically?
>>
>> Well in most cases the changelog will just contain the same "update to x.y.z"
>> For some packages the changes just aren't  worth listing.
>> For example each iw release only contain minor changes, people that
>> really care about them know how to look it up.
>> I could also just add "Small fixes and minor updates from upstream"
>> but that's the same as "Update to x.y.z".
>> Copying the upstream changelog, that must people do not understand
>> does not help either.
>
> If they're really such minor and uninteresting changes, why push them
> out to users?  Why consume infrastructure resources to build, releng
> resources to sign and push, bandwidth resources to mirror, bandwidth
> resources and cpu resources on the clients to consume the metadata, and
> cpu / disk resources on the clients to do the update?
>
> If you don't have anything interesting to say about the update, maybe
> you shouldn't be pushing the update at all.

To keep it in sync with upstream, if a update does not hurt end user
(fix small bugs, add features etc) there is no reason to hold it
unless it breaks something.
For example this update allows the user to see if the wireless card
really runs in 802.11n mode (legacy tools like iwconfig does not know
about it).

Sure I should have mentioned this in the text, but for a package with
small changes like this I just bump the release from time to time.
(And no I do not push it once upstream releases a new version but I
just resync with upstream from time to time).