Lack of update information

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Jan 28 11:03:32 UTC 2009

Chris Weyl wrote:
> Neither is it difficult to rig something to point automatically at an
> included package changelog.  Before we mandate a new manual task,
> can't we at least try an automated approach first?

The included changelog is often way too detailed (especially FSF-style
changelogs, see e.g. the GCC one) and it also doesn't give the rationale
why the update is being pushed. And there are also many packages where the
changelog is provided on some web page, not as part of the source code. So
this is no substitute for doing it properly.

        Kevin Kofler