PackageKit application icons

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Wed Jan 28 21:23:06 UTC 2009

On 2009-01-28 at 16:17:51 -0500, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
> Rick L. Vinyard, Jr. (rvinyard at cs.nmsu.edu) said:
>> Ahhh... I see that now, and they're already there.
>>
>> It's a shame that's the only mechanism for adding icons. I'd like to see
>> something other than cardboard boxes when looking for devel packages.
>
> The problem is you'd either need to:
>
> - include icons in the metadata (which gets very large, very fast)
> - create a package that consists of all the icons that may be in
>   the distro (which gets very messy to maintain, very fast)
>
> Neither of these are particularly good solutions.

Well, we do have a PackageDB. Why couldn't we permit maintainers to go to:

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/packagedb

Then, on the page for the package (once logged in, of course), click on
the icon next to the package name (a question mark by default) and
upload an icon. Then, extend the PackageDB API such that PackageKit
tries to call out to PackageDB to get icons on a per package basis
(also, as a list of packages).

~spot