PackageKit application icons

Nathanael D. Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Wed Jan 28 21:42:05 UTC 2009

drago01 wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 10:23 PM, Tom spot Callaway <tcallawa at redhat.com> wrote:

>>> The problem is you'd either need to:
>>>
>>> - include icons in the metadata (which gets very large, very fast)
>>> - create a package that consists of all the icons that may be in
>>>   the distro (which gets very messy to maintain, very fast)
>>>
>>> Neither of these are particularly good solutions.
>> Well, we do have a PackageDB. Why couldn't we permit maintainers to go to:
>>
>> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/packagedb
>>
>> Then, on the page for the package (once logged in, of course), click on
>> the icon next to the package name (a question mark by default) and
>> upload an icon. Then, extend the PackageDB API such that PackageKit
>> tries to call out to PackageDB to get icons on a per package basis
>> (also, as a list of packages).
>
> Doesn't sound like a good idea. Unless we have packageDB mirrors.

Why not something more low tech. Upload via packageDB or something,
which puts the icon on the mirrors so packagename-logo.X, pk checks if
the mirror it received the package list has a icons/packagename-logo.X
or whatever if it exists display it, otherwise don't.

--
Nathanael d. Noblet
Gnat Solutions, Inc