Draft: simple update description guidelines

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jan 28 22:49:27 UTC 2009

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> The following are a set of simple guidelines for the update descriptions
>> via bodhi (which is used by PackageKit to inform users of what has
>> changed). These guidelines are intended to help end users understand the
>> nature of changes in the update better. Bodhi is not used in rawhide, so
>> these guidelines are not applicable for rawhide updates. Note that this
>> is not connected to the rpm changelog.
>
> These look good, I agree with the need for guidelines here.

The general consensus seem to push for more of a best practises
document. So I am going with

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Markmc/Draft_package_update_guidelines

It appears, most maintainers only have been ignoring the description
fields or not filling them properly because of lack of documentation or
awareness on how it is being used. I am hoping just merging this
information in the wiki and adding appropriate references would be
enough to solve that problem. If not, we will deal with that, later.

Rahul