Too many unowned directories

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Fri Jan 30 20:51:59 UTC 2009

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 14:48:49 -0500, Colin wrote:
>
>> I think the conclusion was that this problem would just go away if RPM
>> reference counted directories?
>
> When will that happen?

Depends on how high a priority folks want it to have?

> A restrictive umask still creates inaccessible unowned directories when
> installing packages.

Rpm sets a default umask 0022 on initialization since 4.4.2.3. Where are
you seeing inaccessible unowned directories being created? Ok, RHEL/Centos
< 5.3 but that's not really Fedora land.

> And these bad permissions of such directories cannot
> be verified/discovered with "rpm --verify" either.
>
> In other cases, unowned directories are the result of missing
> dependencies. And in turn, "yum install foo" installs a non-working
> package. Dir refcounting in RPM cannot fix that.

Rpm could stop the install on unowned directories like it does for
file conflicts. Not maybe the nicest user experience but non-working
package is not any better.

 	- Panu -