look at this: samsung nc10 bootchart with mobil V2

Matthew Garrett mjg at redhat.com
Sat Jan 31 01:14:50 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 12:07:44PM -0500, Brian Maly wrote:

> All UEFI systems Ive worked with boot incredibly fast. And further the Intel
> Moblin V2 Core's feature Fastboot on top of being UEFI (read the specs on this
> hardware). Further, all LinuxBIOS systems Ive worked with boot just as fast.
> Its not smoke and mirrors. Systems are completely capable of booting this
> quickly. Believe what you want though.

The latest Vaio Z-series machines have an Insyde H2O UEFI firmware with
BIOS compatibility. The boot time is not noticably faster. I /believe/
that the Aspire One is based on the same platform, so is technically an
EFI machine - however, there doesn't appear to be any means of actually
booting through it (rather than the compatibility layer) so the
difference is pretty academic.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org