Validity of the CD size limit nowadays [Re: Features/ArchitectureSupport - changing what we build for]

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 17:53:31 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 12:41 PM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think that is a poor example for this discussion since it doesn't have
>> a CD option at all. The link is to a laptop with no optical media. The
>> only media choice is a DVD burner.
>
> You can think whatever you like.  The assertion was that all x86_64
> machines have a CD/DVD drive and that is very much not the case.

No it wasn't— That was what he *stated*, but its clear from the
context thats not what he intended to assert.

The discussion is regarding switching the LiveCD into a LiveDVD.  The
intended assertion is that these systems which had CD support at all
also had DVD support.

Your counter example is no more useful than pointing out some
screenless x86_64 based telephone switch which didn't have a DVD. :)