Validity of the CD size limit nowadays [Re: Features/ArchitectureSupport - changing what we build for]

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 20:18:19 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 7:17 PM, Jon Stanley <jonstanley at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 11:46 AM, drago01 <drago01 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Well the point is not the size of the DVD image itself but having a
>> liveDVD instead of a liveCD (going away from the 700MB size limit)
>
> Keep in mind that the same spin for all arches is produced using the
> same kickstart (i.e. fedora-livecd-desktop.ks). So the technical
> feasibility of keeping a LiveCD for x86 and DVD for x86_64 is nearly
> nil, unless we broke up the kickstarts (which I for one am not in
> favor of).

I am aware of that, but as both need to be tested anyway that should
not be really a blocker.
Instead of just discussion this every 2nd release[1] (same as the boot
time thread [2] that shows up at the beginning of each rawhide cycle),
we should decide whether we[3] want this, and then go on implementing
this.

1: it just feels like this so don't come up with "but there was no
such thread for fedora n"
2: and ends up into a do we need a MTA started by default flamewar
(but that's a different topic)
3: now who is "we" ... FESCO, rel-eng ? Who is app to make this decision ?