fesco meeting summary - 2009-01-30

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Sat Jan 31 23:55:44 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-02-01 at 00:10 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
> > No, as Seth has pointed out, luckily a newer rpm is not needed. The
> > issue is to have python-hashlib available for yum. Plus some
> > dependencies (urlgrabber for instance).
>
> That's not what the feature page says. It says an RPM backport would be too
> big for F9. I think you're talking about only one part of the feature,
> which is SHA256 for metadata. But the plan is to also use it everywhere
> inside RPM packages, and that needs support from RPM. Config files in RPM
> use MD5 to check for modification. Signatures are done on MD5 hashes. Etc.
> All this is to be replaced with SHA256, which needs RPM 4.6.

To use preupgrade I don't think that's as strict a requirement.

preupgrade does what it does by using yum and it's metadata to figure
out what to download. It sets up a repo for anaconda and then sets up
your system to boot into the installer.

Now, preupgrade does do a test transaction, to look for hang ups to
doing the install. That would be the one place where it might get cranky
about the lack of sha256 support in rpm.

-sv