rawhide report: 20090702 changes

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Thu Jul 2 23:41:46 UTC 2009

MC> Well, I always understood, that documentation which is part of
MC> normal package is OK, but source package which contains nothing
MC> else than documentation isn't.

If that was the case, then I see 17 -docs packages that build
completely separately from any other package.  Some upstreams package
their documentation in separate tarballs, and so these can be built
from separate source packages.  (And often this makes sense, as the
documentation package doesn't have to change when a bug is fixed in
the main package.)

So you could have a rule that says the package has to directly
document some program in the distro, but then the Linux device drivers
book does just that.  I don't think anyone would reasonably want to
exclude the python-docs package (built as a separate source package
containing nothing other than documentation) but I know I can't
articulate just how diveintopython is different.

Honestly I think this would be easier if we had a separate content
repository, because then the decision wouldn't be about excluding some
things completely but instead about which repository to put them in.
I recall some discussion about that but I don't know what the end
result was.  Honestly I don't care either way except that I need to
know what to do with this javanotes review ticket I've taken; I'd just
like to be able to point people to a clear decision.

 - J<