an update to automake-1.11?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Jul 5 02:01:48 UTC 2009

Toshio Kuratomi writes:

> On 07/04/2009 03:22 PM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 12:40:44PM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>>> No, not if they bundle the generated auto* files with their tarballs, as
>>> they are supposed to do.
>>
>> They're not "supposed to do" that.  Don't make stuff up.
>>

> It's true there are no literal files matching the wildcard "auto*" that
> are generated for inclusion in the tarballs.  But I think Ralf is
> talking about the files generated by the auto-tools (autoconf, automake,
> and libtool).  Those are supposed to be bundled with the tarballs.

And, they are.

So, the automake update should not really have any impact on rebuilding any
existing well-made rpm package. The only possible impact would be to those
packages that rerun automake or autoconf, for some reason.

Although I do believe that there's a small number of rpms whose spec script
does that, I really think that this is not correct, and the packaging
guidelines should really prohibit that. If the configure script needs
patching, make a patch against the configure script, and/or Makefile.in;
rather than patching configure.in and Makefile.am, and rerun all the auto
scripts.