Better ways to format USB disks (file fomats etc)

Joonas Sarajärvi muepsj at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 19:31:57 UTC 2009

2009/7/5, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com>:
> Andreas Tunek writes:
>
>> Maybe I should clarify my use case experience. After I used GParted to
>> format the HDD to ext3 (and ext4 later) I tried to create a folder on
>> the HDD. I could not do this as a normal user, only as root. When I
>> formatted the HDD to ntfs I could create folders and files. I want the
>> ntfs behavior.
>
> Create a top-level folder on the USB drive that's owned by your userid, then
> you can create any subfolders that your heart desires.

This is totally broken if the disk is used on multiple computers.
Having to maintain same UID-username combinations on the different
computers is just not good usability.

The way I'd like it to work is that all the files would appear to be
owned by the user who mounted the disk, regardless of what was stored
in the filesystem metadata. The rwx permission bits could well be
applied as usual.

--
Joonas Sarajärvi
muepsj at gmail.com