Against what do I file this bug?

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jul 14 23:40:39 UTC 2009

S.A. Hartsuiker wrote:
> On 07/15/2009 01:24 AM, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> S.A. Hartsuiker wrote:
>>> Now for my problem. Although Anaconda installed grub in the bootsector
>>> of the fakeraid mirrored device, I never actually get to a grub prompt,
>>> it just loads the kernel.
>>
>> Um... do you mean that grub loads the latest kernel without pausing to
>> ask if that's what you want? Because as I understand that is intended
>> behavior with F11 (with F10 already, I want to say). Hold some key
>> during boot to get the grub menu (ctrl works well, being unused by most
>> BIOS's).
>
> Ok, this is a pebkac. Apparently it's just a very short timeout now.

In theory the timeout is "0" :-). Or I suppose, "only as long as it
takes to poll the keyboard to see if a key is pressed".

(In case you are wondering, the reason was to further reduce boot time.
You can of course edit grub.conf to have an actual timeout, if you prefer.)

> Keeping a key pressed after POST, but before I see any mention of grub
> seems to work.

Right, this is what you're supposed to do :-). (Or even start holding a
key during POST works, which is why I suggested ctrl as something that
POST will ignore, and that grub will only pay attention to as far as
"oh, you want to see the menu".)

--
Matthew
<insert bad pun... on second thought, better not>