No Frozen Rawhide

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Jul 22 18:14:32 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-07-22 at 12:36 -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 July 2009 11:58:11 Jesse Keating wrote:
> > On Wed, 2009-07-22 at 10:57 -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > > Only thing I'm not terribly wild about is storing the pre-release tree
> > > in /pub/fedora/linux/releases/#/Everything/. Its bound to cause some
> > > confusion amongst the general population. Any reason not to keep it at
> > > /pub/fedora/linux/releases/test/#/Everything/ instead?
> >
> > Churn on the mirror configs and the repo files,
>
> That much sort of sucks, yeah, but meh. We change it at least once
> anyway though, going from rawhide to release, so is one more change
> here a huge undertaking? (I ask because have no idea)

Well every change has potential to break users who have had to do some
customization, and it hurts 3rd party repo setups.  It'd be nice to
install a repo config at Alpha and have the paths used remain useful and
valid through the entire release.  Would make it easier to attract users
at Alpha/Beta and not suddenly drop them off the face or drag them into
the next rawhide.

> > as well as on the
> > mirrors when we move to the final destination.
>
> $ cd .../pub/fedora/linux/releases/test/
> $ mv 12 ../
>
> ?
>
> Of course, most mirrors are auto-updating via rsync, so perhaps that
> doesn't translate particularly well... But it would also make it easier
> for mirror admins who don't want to mirror anything but the actual
> released releases.

Yeah, sucks for mirrors.  If you don't do hardlinks for a while first,
they'd have to re-sync the entire pile of packages.  And if you're going
to do the hardlink dance, might as well use the base location first.
Most of our mirrors tend to use the fedora-enchilada path so we're not
likely to break too many expectations by having something in releases/
change, any more than by having something in releases/test/ change.

> > Also it makes having
> > test/12/Everything and test/12-Alpha and test/12-Beta a tad bit
> > confusing when all in the same dir.
>
> I think this is less confusing than having a release/12 well before the
> actual release of 12 though. Perhaps test/12/Everything would more
> accurately be called test/12/Nightly in this scenario?

This is why we'll set the expectation of the release on having the
Fedora/ path show up.  Since that's really what signifies the release,
having gpg signed checksummed isos show up, and torrents getting turned
on, etc..

There will have to be some expectation changes, but really the kind of
people digging at raw mirror paths are going to be the kind of people
that can adjust their expectations.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!