MediaRepo: help needed in Packagekit

Muayyad AlSadi alsadi at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 22:15:39 UTC 2009

hello,

I started an effort to add a feature to fedora

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/MediaRepo

I was told by David Zeuthen that the API of DeviceKit-disks is not yet stable
he advised me to use GIO (GVolumeMonitor)

so I made my patch implementation independent we can use HAL or DeviceKit or GIO

the only thing need to be changed in different implementations is
from yumMediaManager import MediaManager
should be
from yumMediaManagerHAL import MediaManager
or
from yumMediaManagerGIO import MediaManager
..etc.

Richard Hughes had accepted my patch

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/packagekit/commit/?id=3a75f454a53294a62a8f1eb93d0c3e53cc02a966

as you can see in that commit
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/packagekit/tree/backends/yum/yumMediaManager.py

there is no implementation

but I made a HAL implementation, you can find it in PK mailing list
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/packagekit/2009-July/005166.html

I know hal is to be dropped, the hal code it's just a placeholder

I want some to help me having a GIO version and a deviceKit version of
yumMediaManager.py

can anybody tell me what is the command line in deviceKit that works
like this HAL

dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.Hal
/org/freedesktop/Hal/Manager
org.freedesktop.Hal.Manager.FindDeviceByCapability string:volume.disc

or a simple hello world GIO segmetn in python that just list devices ..etc.

any kind of help is welcome