an update to automake-1.11?

Ondřej Vašík ovasik at redhat.com
Wed Jul 1 07:02:59 UTC 2009

Owen Taylor wrote:
> I was rather surprised to see:
>
>  https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F9/FEDORA-2009-6661
>  https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F10/FEDORA-2009-6076
>  https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F11/FEDORA-2009-6370
>
> Where the automake was upgraded to 1.11 for F9, F10, and F11.

Upgrade on F-11 (and F-10) was requested because there are some projects
(like gnulib/coreutils) which really need automake 1.11 for build in
latest stable versions.
Anyway I'm a bit surprised by F-9 update - as we argumented by more
possible projects with need for automake-1.11 during F-10/F-11
lifecycle. Packages automake/autoconf are special - as you need them not
only for packaging, but for building not packaged projects from
git/whatever upstream repos.
Yes, you could always compile latest autotools as well and use them, but
automake 1.10 is ~2 years old software. AFAIK there were no
incompatibility changes in automake, so the only problem could be if the
program relies on exact automake version - which is imho wrong.

> In general automake hasn't had a very good track record of compatibility
> between 1.x and 1.y, though this has been getting better recently.

Previous automake 1.10 is more than 2 years old, automake 1.10b and beta
release were used at least for building testing gnulib and coreutils
project and there were no troubles. Ralf Wildenhues is very conservative
with changes - which is good for projects like automake/autoconf.
Therefore I don't expect incompatibility issues.
Anyone experienced troubles with latest automake in rawhide (other than
exact automake version check)? If so - it's still in testing, so it
still could (and for F-9 imho anyway should) be unpushed...

Greetings,
          Ondřej Vašík