KSplice in Fedora?

King InuYasha ngompa13 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 07:19:22 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 1:44 AM, Frank Schmitt <ich at frank-schmitt.net> wrote:

> Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> writes:
>
> > Bill McGonigle wrote:
> >> The parenthetical is the actual reason people don't like to reboot and
> >> may ignore security updates.  Boot times are trivial in comparison to
> >> restoring one's application state, for anything beyond the most trivial
> >> of use cases.
> >
> > The average home user turns his/her computer off when going to sleep, so
> > he/she reboots at least once per day. Heck, even I do that. Leaving my
> > computer running when I sleep wastes power and makes me sleep badly
> > (probably because of the noise from the fans, though I don't exclude
> > electromagnetic waves possibly having to do with it as well (but no, I
> > don't use tinfoil hats or similar nonsense ;-) )). Home users with record
> > uptimes are a small minority, even if there are probably many of those on
> > this list.
>
> I think most people hibernate or suspend when they go to sleep.
>
> --
> Have you ever considered how much text can fit in eighty columns?  Given
> that a
> signature typically contains up to four lines of text, this space allows
> you to
> attach a tremendous amount of valuable information to your messages.  Seize
> the
> opportunity and don't waste your signature on bullshit that nobody cares
> about.

Since hibernate has been broken for the last three releases of Fedora, I do
suspend to RAM. I wish hibernate worked though. Either way, I don't like
rebooting and I think something like this would be great. Most the people I
do know, even non-techies, generally either suspend or hibernate the machine
since they don't want to wait for the system to start up.