ppc64 assistance

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Jul 2 16:24:16 UTC 2009

Peter Robinson wrote:
>>> With V=1
>>>
>>> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/getfile?taskID=1450335&name=build.log
>> AFAIS, your spec doesn't seem to pass RPM_OPT_FLAGS correctly, as well as
>> does the package seems to play dirty games with CFLAGS. I haven't checked
>> details, though.
>>
>> FWIW: Build breakdowns on ppc64 often are caused by not passing
>> RPM_OPT_FLAGS correctly or a package playing dirty games with
>> CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS.
>
> The dirty games were to try and work out this issue with PPC64 (it
> built fine on the rest of them)

Well, this is expected ;)

AFAICT, on the ppc64, the default/implicit -mXXX flags in GCC diverge
from what is in RPM_OPT_FLAGS, so you end up with incorrectly compiled
binaries, if not correctly passing through RPM_OPT_FLAGS.

Conversely, if not passing RPM_OPT_FLAGS, one often gets away with "no
build-breakdowns" on all targets, but is facing the kind of issue your
are facing on the ppc64.

Furthermore, several GCC flags people are using in dirty CFLAGS tricks
often actually are target-specific, which will cause build-breakdowns on
more exotic target. -ggdb is one of these non-portable options, but I am
not sufficiently familiar with RH's ppc64 to be able to judge if -ggdb
is valid on RH-ppc64.

Ralf