an update to automake-1.11?

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sun Jul 5 13:16:55 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jul 04, 2009 at 10:01:48PM -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Although I do believe that there's a small number of rpms whose spec
> script does that, I really think that this is not correct, and the
> packaging guidelines should really prohibit that. If the configure script
> needs patching, make a patch against the configure script, and/or
> Makefile.in; rather than patching configure.in and Makefile.am, and rerun
> all the auto scripts.

There's been lots of previous discussion of this silly idea of
patching generated code.  You end up carrying enormous patches
containing just line number changes that often can't be applied
upstream, and can't be carried forward to new upstream releases --
what on earth use is that?  And still no one has explained coherently
why the sky will fall if we patch configure.ac and Makefile.am and
just rerun autoconf/automake in the specfile.

Earlier thread here if you have the stomach for it:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-October/thread.html#00467

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v