an update to automake-1.11?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon Jul 6 22:46:13 UTC 2009

Adam Jackson writes:

> On Mon, 2009-07-06 at 17:53 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>
>> So, the choices are, once it's identified where configure goes wrong are:
>>
>> 1) Fix the configure script, with shellcode whose contents are well
>> understood
>>
>> 2) Patch configure.ac, and feed it to a code generator that spits out a
>> brand new configure script.
>>
>> Your turn. Of course, if you take #2, you would, of course, verify which
>> specific version of autoconf the upstream used, and whether the differences
>> between your's and upstream's autoconf does not have any other impacts on
>> the configure script.
>
> I suppose it depends whether you consider the initial act of package
> creation, or the continued maintenance of that packaging, to be more
> time consuming.  All I know is that rediffing patches to configure.ac
> takes way less time than rediffing against configure, and that as a

Gee, I didn't know that rediffing is a mandatory step. Here I was, just
fixing configure by opening it in emacs, adding one or two lines, or
changing a variable setting, saving it the diffing the results against the
original configure file, producing a tiny patch. And I was doing it wrong
way all along…