Feature proposal: Extended Life Cycle Support

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Jul 7 16:01:20 UTC 2009

Ding-Yi Chen wrote:
> Therefore, I would like to propose an alternative approach,
> namely, project Denture. See my blog post for further information:
> http://dingyichen.livejournal.com/14055.html
>
> Any comments?

As I've tried to explain to you last time you proposed that approach on your
blog, that approach is completely broken by design and cannot work. Please
also point out the issues.

For example, you suggest blacklisting qt because of the renames, but that
means NO Qt/KDE app can be upgraded to a supported version. (Fedora 8, the
last release prior to the renames, is no longer supported.)

You'll find that many of the packages you'll want to upgrade won't work
because of some blacklisted dependency, and even where they appear to work,
they might not actually work (see also John5432's point about unspecified
minimum version dependencies). There's no way to just use the packages from
a newer distribution on an older one, we have separate branches for a
reason, there's no way around them. And your idea of cherry-picking
individual packages for upgrading is just unsupportable.

        Kevin Kofler