ck-list-sessions shows active = false

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Wed Jul 8 09:44:15 UTC 2009

On Mon, 06.07.09 09:54, darrell pfeifer (darrellpf at gmail.com) wrote:

> Using rawhide and gdm-2.26.1-13.fc12.i586 when I do a ck-list-sessions I see
> Session4:
> unix-user = '500'
> realname = 'darrell pfeifer'
> seat = 'Seat5'
> session-type = ''
> active = FALSE
> x11-display = ':0'
> x11-display-device = ''
> display-device = ''
> remote-host-name = ''
> is-local = TRUE
> on-since = '2009-07-06T15:56:08.908744Z'
> login-session-id = ''
>
> Currently almost all my device-related functionality is not working
> (including pulseaudio, mounting usb sticks, starting virtual machines). In
> addition, polkit-gnome-authorization and polkit-gnome-authorization are
> crashing.
>
> Am I on the right track thinking that the problem is gdm related?

We are currently in the process of moving the device ACL management
from HAL to udev. This is not finished yet, at least for the PA case I
know that that there is some work left to do to fix udev/ck to make
things completely race-free.

A temporary work-around for the PA case is to make yourself a member
of the "audio" group which then gives you device access regardless if
ACLs are set up and work correctly. This will break audio if you have
multiple simultaneous session of different users.

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net