$HOME/bin

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Jul 13 13:47:17 UTC 2009

Michal Hlavinka wrote:
>> Paul W. Frields wrote:

>>> I would only want this at the *end* of the current PATH, not the
>>> beginning, for obvious security reasons.
>> 1. Your practice to a wide extend defeats one prime rationale for ~/bin:
>> Replacing/Overriding vendor-provided applications by per-user installed
>> versions.
>>
>> 2. Unless using ~/bin as root, these files are user-installed binaries,
>> which under normal circumstances may only have security impacts on user
>> files => What you call "obvious security reasons" are minor concerns.
>
> if "su" (instead of "su -") is used, root will inherit user's environment
> including PATH.
Yes, but ... we are talking about ordinary users here, not about users
who have root access. These people have other means to install packages.

For ordinary users, prepending ~/bin to $PATH is the only approach e.g.
to replace vendor-supplied applications, the "security risks" are almost
non-existent.

Ralf