$HOME/bin

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Mon Jul 13 18:24:54 UTC 2009

Matthew Garrett <mjg at redhat.com> writes:

>> <press alt-shift-f2 -> starts the xfrun4 "Run program" application)
>> $ ps wwwe `/sbin/pidof xfrun4`
>>  4220 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/bin/xfrun4 --daemon ... PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/games
>
> .bash_profile is only evaluated for login shells.

How else is the program environment (e.g. $http_proxy or $PATH) supposed
to be set for applications started by the "Run program" desktop feature?

And -- I want it to be consistent across xterm, the xfce4-panel buttons
(which both have the bash profile environment) and "Run program".

>> It's probably some kind of undebuggable d-bus interaction :( Hence,
>> use xterm to start your applications, but not this buggy desktop
>> crap.
>
> It seems to be working as expected, given the implementation.

Most computer languages guarantee that everything works as expected, given
its implementation.  But this does not mean that it works correctly.

Enrico