Feature proposal: Rebootless Installer

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Tue Jul 14 10:45:35 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-07-14 at 02:04 -0600, Douglas McClendon wrote:

> Can you spare 50 or 100K?  If you can spare 100K/700M in the forthcoming
> Fedora-12 LiveCD, I can provide you with a rebootless installation
> experience.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/RebootlessInstaller
>
> The short story is that you boot the LiveCD/USB, run the installation,
> and then, instead of rebooting into the installed OS, you are already
> looking at and using it.

I think this needs a lot more discussion before it's considered. As
others have said, rebooting is often necessary with our current modus
operandi and whether we like it or not, it is consistent. Besides, most
people don't mind an *expected* reboot after they do a major upgrade.

Me, I normally set aside a weekend for Fedora major upgrades anyway.
It's not something I'm inclined to do without some planned downtime,
since the last two times I've had an hour of fixing to do afterward.

Jon.