Feature proposal: Rebootless Installer

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Tue Jul 14 15:00:06 UTC 2009

Christoph Höger wrote:
>> We are talking about a live cd installation, yes? You can close the
>> installer then.
>
> We were talking about anaconda. And I still don't know a sane (aka "no
> manual chroot") way to go from livecd into the fresh installed
> environment.

If you look at the feature page and watch 18 minutes of youtube videos,
and/or look at my code, I think you'll have to admit there is 'a way' to
do it.  I certainly won't be offended by the label 'insane' however,
unless of course you find technical problems with my implementation, in
which case, I still won't mind the label, I'll just go fix em.

> You surely agree that users that know about chroot are probably not the
> ones adressed with the "hey, cool, in this linux thingy i do not need to
> reboot after install" feature, don't you?

Given that I'm precisely the kind of person who is comfortable doing the
chroot dance, and I get the most joy from using my installer, I'd have
to biasedly suggest that it is for everyone who thinks its kindof cool.

peace...

-dmc