Feature proposal: Rebootless Installer

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 14 15:04:45 UTC 2009

Am Dienstag, den 14.07.2009, 08:09 -0600 schrieb Douglas McClendon:
> Colin Walters wrote:
> > Another thing to keep in mind that immediately post-installation there
> > are going to be updates, which will at a minimum need desktop reset
> > (fast reboot experience), or more likely system restart.
>
> I don't exactly get this.  I might understand some negligible things.
> But historically I've often done
>
> -normal install, reboot
>
> -booted, logged in using everying, then a massive yum update, then I'd
> wait till it was absolutely convenient to logout of the desktop or reboot

You wouldn't need no yum update if you enabled the updates repo during
install. It's a single click.

Your proposal sounds interesting, but I have two questions/issues:
     1. The installation is not finished after reboot because we have
        firstboot. How to trigger firstboot in a rebootless install?
     2. Imagine after the installation you switch rebootless to the new
        system and install a kmod. But you are still running the kernel
        from the installation medium and kmods get installed for the
        running kernel, which not necessarily needs to be the one that
        was installed.

Regards,
Christoph